Complxtro but Chilled Dubstep

Apart from its whack as fuck… If you are going to go Bro go Bro

That’s brostep not complextro.

What part of it isn’t complex? Maybe a few bit in the into?

What is Complextro?: A sub genre of 'electro' 
 (~128 bpm). This music is complex, hence the name, with artists 
 producing basslines/leads that are very intricate sometimes involving 8+
 different synth sounds per 2 bar loop.

Oh I guess I’m using the word wrong. I thought it was a word to describe music across any genre.

Most electronic music is complex even if it’s not so obvious, even a lot of the more sparse ‘real’ dubstep. Here is some obviously complex electronic music which is actually good imo:

1 BigUp

Pushing forward a minimal complextro sound recently, incorporating a lot of indigenous sounds with a Saved By The Bell aesthetic.

1 BigUp

This literally kills complextro

I love the pissing contest vibes in here.

5 Likes

Just trying to show that complextro is a straight up misnomer. It describes music that isn’t even really complex nor is it even really electro .

You clearly know nothing about composing music and electronic music production.

mad ting

1 BigUp

You’re talking to someone who’s been composing music for 15 years, and producing electronic music for 11.

I think we might just have to disagree then because I know what some of these guys are doing sound design and production wise and it can be crazy.

I’m not saying it isn’t time-consuming to automate a ton of parameters to make things sound the way they do in the examples given thus far, I’m just saying complexity in music isn’t, in my opinion, predicated on parameter automation and more predicated on actual musical complexity. That’s why Autechre is so interesting to me, because they actually create music that, if you wrote it out, would be highly complicated.

This is a good example of what I’m talking about. Melodically, it’s pretty simple. but rhythmically it’s taking a lot of chances and floating nearly to the point of being out of beat, but it still remains in time. To me, that’s complexity.

Another example, this one is from Karlheinz Stockhausen. who was probably one of the most important composers of early electronic music. This to me represents the idea of complexity in a different way.

1 BigUp

Having a bunch of automation going on is sort of like the the definition of complexity don’t you think?

So you don’t feel the the nearly never repeating pattens across a ridiculous number of sound is complicated musically?

Its not just automation. The sound design is some of the most complex of any music. Then there is the way it will normally be processed outside of the synths… and so much other stuff…

On this one I really feel I could write some kind of college level paper on the complexity of Bro and Complextro.

The Autechre tune is ok but… Im sorry but pushing a few drums out of time is common and everyday. not special.

Wow and you said that I clearly know nothing about composing music, but you’re calling Autechre not special. Just wow.

1 BigUp

Well I’m not an expert on the guy but from the stuff you posted nothing stands out to me.

Special is a word save for artists like Burial.

Whatever man.

Honestly if you don’t know who Autechre is, I can’t help you.

no, having a bunch of automation going on is… having a bunch of automation going on…
that may or may not be complex in itself, but that depends where the complexity lies…

1 BigUp