Complxtro but Chilled Dubstep

EXACTLY.

a lot of the stuff you’ve posted as examples seem to have complexity on the surface but its really just a lot of fairly standard things going on all at once. This isnt a good thing or a bad thing. Complexity doesnt make something good/enjoyable, and vice versa.

Complexity for the sake of complexity though is almost always less effective for conveying an idea in any artform ranging from architecture to dance. Complexity when it suites the nature of the piece though can be very powerful; the same can be said of very very minimal works.

as for your original question, I dont think ‘complextro’ lends itself well to ‘chill’ music. Its a bit like asking for some laid back Gabber to listen to.

3 Likes

Pushing a few drums out of time is… pushing a few drums out time.

@cyclopian So music being chilled is a fair emotional concept but complexity is not?

but it’s a controlled, and “complex” rhythm…
a bunch of automation going on is really vague and could sound like anything really

I’ll explain what Autechre is doing for your feeble mind. They’re not “pushing the drums out of time,” in fact they’re hardly using MIDI in the way you or I are familiar with. Much of the album that I posted from is created from generative Max/MSP patches that are manipulating the time and tempo independent of a grid. They then record that and automate it later on. They build and create a lot of their own patches to do things I couldn’t even imagine. It’s far more complex than anything you or I could ever hope to do.

My basic point is really that automation doesn’t make complexity, the construction of the music itself is what make some type of music complex. In my view.

Are you saying that automation as a whole cant be used for anything controlled and complex?

@Cheyne_Taylor_Bush look pushing some drums out of time is a simple and common musical tool.

Doing what they are doing with Max/MSP is more complicated. Why didn’t you mention it before?

Doing one complicated thing is not the same as having nearly every element of the song at the forefront of music production.

no i’m saying that lots of automation does not mean complexity

Then you havnt made any point. You are just stating obios facts that have nothing to do with the conversation.

Like you said yourself automation can be for complex and controlled musical concept.

Why did you write off the song before considering that maybe they created it some other way that you may not be familiar with? Just because the drums aren’t noodly and masturbatory?

Production complexity ≠ musical complexity. That’s, again, the point I’ve been making this whole time.

Not sure how you’re inferring that from what I said, and I dont even exactly understand what you mean tbh.

Just meant that very maximal music doesn’t often find itself being described as ‘chill’ (I hate the descriptor ‘chill’ btw)

An analogous example would be, most people find quiet places like the forest or a calm beach to be “chill”, conversely, most people find an extremely busy city area to not be “chill”.

I would find it hard to have my ears bombarded with a new sound every 2 seconds and feel “chill”.

[quote=“NeonCloud, post:49, topic:3904, full:true”]
Then you havnt made any point. You are just stating obios facts that have nothing to do with the conversation.

Like you said yourself automation can be for complex and controlled musical concept.
[/quote]choose one

I think it can happen, like some of Boxcutter or Squarepusher’s tracks are quite chill (for lack of better term), but have very complicated drum patterns.

Where is the contradiction?

Having lots of automation is complicated
Automation can be used for complex and controlled musical concept.

you guy are ridiculous. All your points are just stupid. :laughing:

you said it was the definition, implying lots of automation=complexity, which may or may not be the case

Complexity is generally used to characterize something with many parts where those parts interact with each other in multiple ways

From Google.

So lots of automation would be lots of parts interacting in multiple ways.

yeah, im not saying its truly a binary thing.

Just saying, asking for “chilled complextro” is a bit of an oxymoron imo. The ‘genre’ is built around high energy build ups and a barrage of loud noises

technically complexity doesn’t necessarily equal musical complexity

Hey I can google too! See:

From Google.

Yeah, and that’s exactly why I don’t think it’s really “complex” and it’s kind of mis-named. AFAIK it appears as complex as a run-of-the-mill pop song, which to be fair can actually be quite complex, by this guy’s standards.

you guys are doing DSF wrong, you’re not supposed to outright call eachother names. Its more about a long term plan of subversive passive agression from here on out.

5 Likes