DMZ Records

Yeah I’ve found it hard to shell out on £40+ records recently. Buying vinyl my musical taste has broadened its difficult to keep up with everything new that I was let alone shelling out big dollar on one plate.

Geez just had a look.
I remember when i was in 2 minds about spending £20 on 007 lool.
I got Alicia for £9 off some record shop’s ebay store thinking that was steep.
Also thinking Kalawanji for £10 was too expensive.
All brand new as well.

I regret so much not buying a double of Alicia as my copy is fucked and has my stupid hand writing of “Alicia” on it lol

3 Likes

still feel blessed for buying a copy of alicia off some guy who could write well lol

my asbo001 is a nightmare tho and its 100% my fault

the cowbell is pretty loefah lol

So…this is probably a dumb thing to ask, or even think about, but is it fair to say that there’ll never be another release on DMZ? Nothing has come since 030 in 2013, who reckons that’s it?

It’d make sense, I mean Mala’s got Medi, Coki’s got DGIT, and Loefah’s got Swamp. Still…listening to the releases…it makes me pretty sad. Got excited when DMZ 10 was announced that maybe they’d do a new release for old time’s sake. But, if that’s where it’s left off, then maybe it’s not so bad. At least they left a solid legacy with it.

1 BigUp

you never know. but it was very disappointing to find out that the release mala was talking about was his new album. i wanted it to be a new dmz but that never happened.

1 BigUp

Yeah I was surprised that it came out on Brownswood…

Besides that, yeah it was unfortunate that there wasn’t new DMZ at the time. Who knows, I guess.

1 BigUp

Can you really imagine them making brand new stuff that could live with the classic DMZ plates? Everyone involved has moved on, and given how it’s always been stressed that those tunes were very specific to a point in time, hence no repress, it’s best just to let it go and appreciate what’s out there already.

3 Likes

I dunno about brand new stuff, but the whole dmz crew have bare dubs that people would cream themselves over. But like you said the whole time and place thing is probably a big factor. But personally idgaf I’d rather have the tunes

1 BigUp

The whole time and place this is soooooo pretentious. I mean, sure, don’t release Jah power and the really special ones. But after 10 years it gets a bit ridiculous.

And if it was really just about the time and place. Why is he still giving those dubs to people? I heard harvest in that gantz mix not too long ago.

Because mala is the ultimate troll

3 Likes

he said in an interview from 2014/2013 he’d release a 5 x 12" on DMZ of one tune from every year he’s produced + artwork, either way if he wants to release something he’ll find an outlet to fit

edit: i reckon its quite a particular project

Not really that much of a surprise considering he’s friends with Loefah

2 Likes

Yeah the more I think about it the more I get it. I mean as a musician myself, I couldn’t really imagine trying to go back to a project or approach that I was doing even two or three years ago, so they probably feel so far removed from it that it wouldn’t make sense to go back. Speculating of course, but I understand the time and place sentiment.

1 BigUp

For any LDN heads. Reckless Records have just got a haul of DMZ & Medi records. Not sure what they’re charging though:

2 Likes

imma go in and have a butchers today :+1:

Is DMZ officially dead then?

• No more nights
  • Mala too busy making world music or whatever
  • Loefah with swamp etc…
  • Cokie doing God knows what
  • No release since like 2013

Fair enough if it is, but would be a shame if it kinda just fades out with no real farewell

2 Likes

The fella in Reckless said these are all going out on the shelves tonight for tomorrow morning. He said prices will be between around 80 up to a couple of hundred quid depending on which one - he seemed to know his onions regarding deep medi/DMZ…best bit was he already had a NM Kalawanji which I just copped for 65 quid - bit lumpy but I’ve never seen it anywhere near that price and it’s payday today :corndance:

3 Likes

Well I think the dmz times are over. With Malas attitude of “not releasing or repressing old tunes” on the one hand, and not making new stuff (except for world music) on the other hand, there is just no material for new dmz releases.

But most labels faded out that way am I right?

Anyways you’re right, it would be really disappointing for one of the founding labels to just fade out. Especially if the founders are all still active producers.

1 BigUp