Grime on rise in America?

lol

i think you are spot on feeend but theres times when being an idiot is the smart move. . . riff raff is a bit like that too

1 BigUp

lol thereā€™s nothing grime about that og mako tune. i think these people confuse grime with trap made by (ex)grime heads. also talking about grime in terms of hip hop cultureā€¦

and if that american remix of thatā€™s not me is any indication of ā€œamerican grimeā€ than it can fuck off

4 Likes

what can ā€œamerican grimeā€ be anyway at best?? if someone makes something like that, theyā€™re bound to come from a hip hop background and probably donā€™t properly understand the amount of influence from uk club music required for a grime sound as opposed to influence of hip hop

2 Likes

There is something interesting to talk about here.

Because in dance music where uk mcs or toasters shine, theres less room for vocals and lyricism, so the mcs end up having to do his own bit of just ā€˜hypeā€™ next to the hype the dance beat brings. I would argue uk mcs are more like instruments interpreting the vibe and reacting moreso than just interacting with a beat.

If you look at any trap track today you will find that the adlibs have a huge part to play. Not only in a musical sense where the beats break down to leave room for them, but also in the sense of the ā€˜writingā€™/putting the words down and showing persona.

So my guess is most us mcs wont be able to do their thing with tracks that are busy in the way grime or jungle tracks are busy.
But then again the new stuff is shaped way more producers than ever before, so if they decide to make more demanding beats then fine.

There was a reason Magoo and Missy and similar mcs worked on timbaland beats, whereas he almost always had to make simpler beats for mainstream rappers.

Generally tho, mcs that get beats from drum machines (like most of the south historically) will usually be more apt at this sort of stuff because they end up mimicking or playing into more complex drum patterns than the older breakbeat beats from like golden era new york stuff would have you doā€¦

1 BigUp

Thought it was Joe Muggs?

i remember a few of those tunes making a bit of a splash, eg dizzee rascal ā€˜dance wiv meā€™ was popular and was played in an entourage episode i think. some of the newer dizzee hiphop tracks like ā€˜i donā€™t need a reasonā€™ or ā€˜pagansā€™ were noticed in the US. skepta - rolex sweep (vandalism remix) is a tune i remember hearing way back when and i still like that oneā€¦

but that stuff didnā€™t really add anything new to the EDM that was already happening in the US. so thatā€™s why it wasnā€™t elevated above the EDM. it was basically just average EDM by big grime names. but people in the US donā€™t give a shit who your name is unless itā€™s a huge pop star. there is honestly no grime name (or dubstep or garage or dnb tbh) out there that will ā€œgive extra pointsā€ to an average EDM tune.

the whole thing about the british accent is just conventional wisdom / rationalization for the non-success youā€™re talking about imo. i donā€™t think thatā€™s the problem, and i think US EDM listeners wouldnā€™t really give a shit about the accent.

Being an idiot? Smart move? How so? If you mean just to get famous and rich, then I totally agree. Its a shame i can say that and actually be speaking the truth.

Whoa. EX-grime head? OG Maco made grime, you say? I mean, i know his music is different from other artistsā€™ (his song, 12 Bricks or Fuckem3x, for example), but i never saw him as a dubstep dude.

I am totally confused about somgs like Pagans by dizzee. Someone in the comments said that it was grime just because it was made by a grime artist (but he was rapping to a trap beat). Thatā€™s like saying skrillexā€™s dubstep is rock because he used to make rock music, right? I totally disagree with stuff like that. Whatever genre the artist is performing, thats the genre it IS.

Yeah dj kozee coined the term.

3 Likes

Was hoping someone would find that article

also

:cornlol:

havenā€™t heard that in a looong time

yeah exactly what i said :rollseyes:

in reference to all the grime guys that started making trap tunes a few years ago calling it grime

wut :corntard: what does that have to do with anything

There were never any bros in brostepā€¦not so much more than ancient UK stuff

yeah that, but also in that itā€™s like comming from a different angle like Odb or maybe eminem whos also deliberately downplaying himself at times you know ?

To address the OT and somewhat along the lines of what Topmo3 said earlier:

Whatā€™ll more likely happen is NOT going to be ā€œAmerica embracing Grime,ā€ but rather; a handful of supercommon grime sounds like detuned square basses will be copped by mainstream artists. If weā€™re lucky, maybe even some of the riddims and use of alternate percussion voicings (claps instead of snares). And nobody will know/care where the fuck it came from, same as how elements of other underground UK electronic sounds have been co-opted in the last 20+ years with nobody giving any fucks as to provenance. Like people who think dubstep was invented by Skillz when he mashed up emo-metal and rapā€¦ :smirk_cat:

BUT!

The good news is thereā€™s always people coming at it differently and the grime mutation has successfully infected some American truhedz (I know I always cane Sd Laika, but heā€™s a great example of someone infuenced by grime and taking it into completely new places).

2 Likes

Yh American grime has always been done with or described as with an ā€œoutsider perspectiveā€, considering the U.Sā€™s geographical distances from grimeā€™s place of origin. People like Sharp Veins, Rabit, SD Laika as you mentioned, end up producing grime thatā€™s more distant from grimeā€™s tropes and they end up producing something much more than ā€œgrimeā€. Personally I donā€™t see instrumental grime being popular in the near future cause of itā€™s inaccessibility to American palates, but popular grime MCs can still move the scene forward imo.

1 BigUp

A grime/sublow night here in San Francisco had its 10 year anniversary just a few months ago. Its been around.

You mean Grime City?

yeah, not really a full on grime night per se, but thry were pushing the sound here way before anyone else

Jamin Creed was my m8 back inna. :sunglasses:

They were pushing the sound when dubstep/garage/grime were all far less segmented off from each other, for sure.

And yet: there was never much interaction with the local hip hop community in the bay, sadly. Thereā€™s a fuckton of bias to overcome on both sides, but especially the local homies I think.

But with grime presets hitting the DAWs as we write this itā€™s only a matter of time before crossbleed happens the way I described above. :confused:

1 BigUp