Overrated Dubstep Tunes

anything on hessle bar router and broken heart rmx

Really don’t dig “Anti-War Dub” and “Midnight Request Line”.

They ain’t bad tunes, but when you hear them get dropped at every rave, shit gets annoying.

Mate not even Cactus, Iddy, Inna Daze/rest of the Pangeezy stuff?

cactus blawan, raw code all pretty ill ye

but the vibe of the label rarely makes me wanna get up and shake ma butt

You just listed like all of my favourite tunes.

How is Tic an overrated tune? LAS is among the best producers IMO.

Before we start, overrated doesn’t mean the tune is necessarily bad so stop crying…or cry for all I care, I love it when people get butthurt over something so petty :badteeth:

Some of these tunes may not be as overrated now, but I’m taking into account when people used overrated them.

•Benga - Blood - Tune sounds very similar to Skank and Star Warz, nothing extremely special about it.
•Loefah - Midnight - Prefer 28g over Midnight. Don’t get why people view it as a special tune when it sounds similar to Mud and 28g. Happy it got released, but no way is it Loefah’s best tune.
•Skream - Midnight Request Line, Mala - Anti War Dub, Benga & Coki - Night and Loefah - The Goat Stare - Anthems that get played over and over get very annoying…it’s the same when you listen to a song constantly and you get fed up with it. I am guilty of overrating The Goat Stare.
•Coki - Spongebob, Horrid Henry, Goblin, Red Eye, Haunted and All Of A Sudden - Like one of the earlier posts said, Tunes are overrated as fuck. I used to be guilty of overrating Red Eye and Haunted. I never understood why people like All Of A Sudden, Bloodthirst is a much better tune.
•James Blake remix of Changes is horrible and overrated.
•Clouds - Under The Dancing Feet is one of the most overrated tunes I have ever heard. Tes La Rok remix is better.
•Mala is very overrated. Yeah most of his tunes are great - I Wait, Hunter, Learn and Tombstone are among some of my favourite tunes but…people claiming he’s like some sort of god is ridiculous, when there are producers like L-Wiz and D1 who can make tunes just as good as Mala, and no one puts them on a pedestal.
•Not sure if people overrate Malleus remix of Mutations, but Joe Nice always plays that one. Not feeling that one. Kahn and Compa are also quite overrated.
•Can’t remember if Loefah - Horror Show used to be that overrated, but I heard people fainted when they heard it, so for that reason it’s going on the list :neutral_face: Woman sounded a lot better in a mix for some reason, probably because it was mixed at a higher bpm.
•Now for the big one - even more overrated than anti war dub, because it’s a “special occasion tune” and that is the DMZ vs MZN - Justice Day tune. Yeah this one is going to make some of you cry or get butt hurt or start raging; but might I add, I don’t give a fuck. This tune is good yes, but no way is it like the best or most prestigious tune ever. Jah Power Dub, Save Me, Creepah and Tombstone are easily better Mala dubs than this one.

Swear mala was referring to the amount of bassweight it had rather than people fainting because the half step blew their mind or whatever.

2 Likes

mh this is a overrated dubstep tunes thread, so dont put ‘overrated artists’ in here if you feel the urge to do so. also may i ask if you never said ‘that’s the best tune ever’ and were OBVIOUSLY talking about ‘the best tune, until the next best tune’ ? also what are actually tunes you like then?

1 BigUp

wasn’t really towards you i know where you’re at.

i should say that (imo) every overrated tune is overrated for an artificial reason (ie a reason not related to the tune itself). a good example is Dread. there are so many better Kahn tunes, but why did that tune become like his big name tune? imo it’s because it was his medi debut, not necessarily because of the tune itself.

so of the ones you mentioned…

Tic - it’s just a pretty basic tune for Las imo, who is known for complexity. I have this record and prefer Backyard by a mile. The bassline is a pretty basic 1/6 lfo or midi pattern with some filter automation and a 1/6 hihat on top, pretty simple compared to Backyard. And the drums are also relatively simple imo compared to other Las tunes. The artificial reason for Tic being overrated imo is because it was talked about for so long after being in Mala’s essential mix.

Dread - tbh, the intro sounds real distorted and i don’t really like that. i like the remix and late night blues way more. and there are other better kahn tunes out there (Over Deh So, Got My Ting, etc).

Space Cash - I’ve never been bothered about not having this one because I have Fuck Mountain, which is basically a better version of SC imo. The only thing it’s missing is those eerie atmospheric blips but that doesn’t really make up for it imo. Space Cash routinely goes for like $70+ on discogs, while FM is like $10. Represses def have something to do with it (and so does Wish) but FM is vinyl only while SC is digi! Should be the other way around imo. It wasn’t Commodo’s debut but it was kinda his first really big banger, so it’s similar to Dread in that way.

28g - Like all the others, it’s not like I dislike the tune. I would have expected a lot more from Skream & Loefah tbh though. It’s a bit too “start and stoppy” for me. The artificial reason here as nevalo pointed out is that it has Loefah’s name on it.

If I want to talk about an overrated artist, I will. I won’t do what you dictate me to do thanks.

If I’m making any sense of what you are saying…well you need to reword that…but “the best tune ever” is all subjective. There is no “best tune ever”…it’s all personal opinion.

I think we’d be here forever if I listed every tune I like…but I like most of the tunes on the list…they’re just overrated/over-hyped/overplayed.

Tunes I do not like on the list I made: James Blake - Changes, Coki - All Of A Sudden and Malleus - Mutations

Interesting how a lot of you have talked about Coki tunes.

Yeah but it’s the sort of Coki tunes that he’s been making since around 2006/2007ish that kind of “post-dubstep” “brosteppy” like sound that he hasn’t really evolved since.

Yeah I feel that perspective, but I still have a soft spot for a lot of the tunes mentioned, and similar ones. I was just playing The End last night, not sure why but never gets old for me

Madman and Satanic Attack are 2 of my favourite of them type of Coki tracks

i think
…
n type dropped madman at dmz the other week

love that tune

fuck the coki hate spongebob is dank, the way that bass swings around you can’t help but go mental

2 Likes

Appreciate your response Gatino

Again the context(s) are interesting to me regarding our different experiences.

The things you pick up as disliking are arguably what made these tunes stand out for me/others hearing them out.

The intro of Dread was like nothing else you’d hear in a set & would get wheels on its own. (also its distorted cus its cut from that Toyan @ Volcano Skateland youtube vid btw not intentionally) Bear in mind this tune came about at the peak of dungeon saturation, even Mala was playing Sleeper/Biome bits & Dread was pushing things a v. different way (we’re feeling its aftereffects now with ppl complaining of the jah-step or w/e oversaturation)

Tic just had that mixdown pressure/rawness that was missing from a lot of tunes. The simplicity of arrangement aided that, the fact it was just a 16th note sub smacking you in the face for 2 minutes was pretty distinctive. Agreed about the overhype a tune can get after a Mala/Radio 1 airing tho. Same thing happened to Dread i spose that put ppl off.

Yeah i’d agree with the above comments about Mala being a bit overrated, wouldn’t say its his tunes per-say but the general ‘can-do-no-wrong’ ‘holy dubplates’ aura is a bit much nowadays espesh after the DMZ 10 logistic rinse out

Bit off track but i’d say the Hessle boys are overrated right now as DJ’s, they’ve lost that eclectic/unpredictable mixed bag feel of their set, its pretty much just a 4x4 tru-head off now, doesnt even really showcase Hessle much. Never hear Ben UFO drawing for grime/funky or Pearson Sound rolling out the percussive agg anymore

2 Likes

Don’t hate Coki tunes, except for All Of A Sudden, Macca, The Shizbiz and Duppy Soursop, just think some of Coki’s tracks are overrated.

Been looking for this sick Coki dub for ages…forgot the name of it until now.

1 BigUp

ur buggin fam

Nope, I’ll be the first to say it’s shit in my opinion.

ha ha, really? the dubstep bubble bursting seemed to hit brosteppahs much harder than the truheds, thought Doctor P and them would be signing on by now.

back to topic, anything Burial’s released post-Archangel tbh. prime case of self-perpetuating hype fuelled by the name, as opposed to how good the tunes are.