Rhythmic Interest 002 -- Polyrhythmic Ponderings

On it.

2 Likes

I got something going now.
Itā€™s basic but itā€™s 3/4 so that ticks the boxes eh?

No imo.

1 BigUp

Iā€™ve got this bit going though

Yeah ok, hehe. I guess we donā€™t really disqualify anyone anyways.
Got something going here too, tried incorporating some polymeter stuff at least, but now I kinda just wanna focus on what the song needs and not focus too much on the ā€œrulesā€. Prolly gonna try out some more polyrhythmical stuff in the next section.

1 BigUp

I think my basic beat is doing the poly thing. Im not hundred percent sure tbh, but it defintiely doesnt sound like anything else ive made so thats good.

Going to try and make a melody that is more obviously poly-etc

2 Likes

doing the poly thing

the three of us saw you from across the Whole Foods and we like your vibe, can we buy you a kombucha?

5 Likes

Damn, look at those teeth. Iā€™d easily tap that.

1 BigUp

Imo a polymeter is one of two things, either a song that uses multiple meters, so long something thatā€™s 3 beats long, then 7, then 15, then 4, another 4, etc. Or maybe a verse thatā€™s in 5, followed by a chorus in 3. But the whole band is playing in this time.

Or it could be voices playing some number of beats, while other voices play a different number.

So like drums playing kick on one, open hat on 2, snare on 3, while a bass plays on 1 and 3 of a 5 beat pattern. They donā€™t really play together except on that first 1 and 3, then it loops around 5/3 times until they line back up. The key thing is theyā€™re not really working together. Theyā€™re their own things, and one of them is probably going to feel more like the ā€˜rootā€™ rhythm with the other sliding around on top.

A polyrhythm is going to be able to be felt in either of the rhythms, and generally involves the whole band working together to create both feels, and creates a kind of push and pull where it may feel more like one than the other.

1 BigUp
1 BigUp

I just gave up and did it in 3/4 :person_shrugging:

3/4 is a time signature not a polyrhthm.

This is an example of a polyrhythm:

350px-Polyrhythm

The video in the OP explains it all

I got that bit, I watched the vid. I went 3/4 to try and get out of the kick on 1 snare on 3 mentality.
I think my drums are doing polyrhythms. Hard to wrap my brain round this one.
Probably going to do poly on the melodies. I think I can visualise/hear that easier

1 BigUp

What I like to do is keep the timing 4/4 but set the different tracks to loop in multiples of 3. So eg Iā€™d loop my hats at 3 beats in a bar my kick on 6th my snare on 9 etc

1 BigUp

I think I might switch my track to 4/4 and do that.
Iā€™ve overcomplicated myself

1 BigUp

You can still get a polyrhythm in 3/4. Your 2 feel is going to come from the 1, and the AND of 2.

You could also have the 3 be half time so it takes two bars, so your main 3 beats are on the 1 3 5 and then your 2 feel comes from the 1 and 4.

Hopefully that makes sense

Yeah I think so, Iā€™ll give it a try, cheers

Basically think of the whole time frame, and then all the ways that can be divided (evenly). Thatā€™s why itā€™s usually a 12 beat cycle, cuz thereā€™s tons of was to divide 12, so itā€™s very easy to create different rhythmic feels

1 BigUp

Yeah I can see it in 4/4, I think I made it more difficult for myself putting it in 3/4 (even though it still has that 12 divisibility). Itā€™s just a bit tricky thinking in a different way than Iā€™m used to.

Yeah you can do 3 bars of 4/4 too, but the bar lines arenā€™t going to line up well with the rhythm.

I can take some sequencer pictures in a little bit giving some examples of how to set up a polyrhythmic skeleton in 3/4 and 4/4 and maybe some of the standard patterns/claves if you or anyone else would like.

Iā€™ve been really interested in polyrhythms since I was like 16 but this is my first real attempt at actually making a song that uses them and Iā€™m learning a ton so Iā€™m really hype about this lol

1 BigUp