Rhythmic Interest 002 -- Polyrhythmic Ponderings

I listened to Batucada groups quite a bit yesterday.

They are like master classes in polyrhythms.

The one I previous posted was in 7/8. I think this one is in 4/4. They seem to be having so much fun.

2 Likes

I want to be in a batacuda band now

1 BigUp

Yeah man that’d be ace

So the easiest way to do it in 4/4 is with triplets. I don’t recommend this cuz the subdivisions just aren’t right, really, but here’s what a basic 2 over 3 would look like. 2 beats on the top for every 3 on the bottom

Or half time

In 3/4 the second 2 falls on the and of 2

I prefer using 6 beats

Double time

Standard bell pattern using 2 bars of 6 beats

Note how the first three hits lines up with the 3 feel, while the last 3 switch to be on the off beats

Same pattern but double time

Another pattern with 2 voices, the top is playing in groups of the 3, the bottom in groups of 2 (or 4, however you want to look at it)

2 Likes

Immensely helpful thanks dude!

1 BigUp

No worries

Got my track done, but I may wind up doing a few. Mine’s both polyrhythmic and polymetric :space_invader:

4 Likes

Might have to sit this one out boys. I got a lot on my plate rn, and I can’t get my head round it anyway.

You still have over three weeks to be weird.

I started making something weird.

7/4

808’s and other drums and ting.

I can’t wait to do the bass.

1 BigUp

I’ve got something but not sure if it is fitting the criteria

Don’t worry if it doesn’t fit dude. Just have fun. It’s not like we’re going to ban you

I had a lot of fun making it tbf. Ill finish it and submit. If it’s wrong, well then it’s a learning curve innit.

1 BigUp

Exactly dude. These are more about challenging yourself to make something different than they are about winning anyway

1 BigUp

Bumping this. How’s everyone’s tune going? Feel like mines actually kinda solid so far.

About 3 weeks to go, no submissions yet

Made a good chunk of mine the first few days, haven’t had time/energy to continue on it yet. Tinnitus has been really bad lately, plus major ear fatigue in general.

1 BigUp

Haven’t done much for a week or so, got a lot on, but hoping to get an evening on it next weekend.

2 Likes

As much as people have tried to explain I still can’t fully get my head round polyrhythms duhhhhhhh :drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 BigUp

Same hre dude. I just went with it and submitted

1 BigUp

My ears are still not good, haven’t been able to sit more with it yet.

So another way to think about it would be: in 4/4 music you have four main beats, and you can subdivide those into more, so like 8 16 32.

But if you have 12 beats, you can divide those into 2s and 3s to create different rhythmic feels. Now if you take that idea, and you have some instruments playing in one division, and others playing in another, you get that cross rhythm. You can also have one instrument playing in both times (accenting some of the 2s and some of the 3s). Or having a clave type deal going.

In a 3 2 polyrhythm, there’s essentially 6 underlying beats.

ONE two Three Four Five six

One is the strong beat where the two come together. Two is a weak beat. Three is beat 2 of the 3 feel. Four is beat 2 of the 2 feel. Five is beat 3 of 3 feel. Six is a weak beat.

It’s kind of tricking your perception. Generally, it’s still felt in 2, the 3 just kind of makes it unbalanced, like it’s toppling forward.

2 Likes