Tuna - The Legend Continues

hehe, yeah my tuna this week is an experimental piece, it will be part of an EP i will work on this summer titled “weather’s too nice to sit in front of my daw” :badteeth:

2 Likes

got some stuff but maybe next week working abit on a collabo with genrl :relieved:

3 Likes

cant wait to listen

I’ll try to put aside some time to listen but have a busy week :confused:

feedback

@cyclopian
dig the mellow vibe
yeah drop is nice hm the up note is cool but maybe just a straight bassline would work too like a kickdrum kinda
vocals work nice
the flute maybe tiny bit sharp
dig the vocals even more after 2.31 the higher female ones i guess the same pitched up?
hm bassline works better here maybe start the high notes in this section
dig this new sound at 3.14 fits
hm maybe bit more in the front the new sound?
but overall cool tune kinda finished as it is

@Jizz
very bumby but i dig it the vocal cuts work nice hm not something i can do so just finish it haha
maybe some counter vocals ?

@knobgoblin
yeah i dig the whole vibe personally i could do without the main bassline haha but it fits just would have a more ambient feel
reminds me of scorn kinda
hm yeah not much to add you know what you are doing :slight_smile:

@Tolsof
nice intro cavern vibes
very dark dig it hm i do agree with cyclopian but on the other hand it doesnt sound bad this way very reverby thats true
yeah maybe open some of the filters here and there and hi hats could be little bit drier and maybe the main snare mix some dry into it
hm but i dig it sounds good as it is would sound good if you make it different too haha

1 BigUp

@cyclopian first thing im hearing today, so chilled. the drums could cut through the sub a bit more. this mix has a warm feel to it that i like a lot.really gets into its own groove by the third section at 4.30. the pads are great too, could try a break section of pad and flute getting vibey

@knobgoblin oh yah this is flat as fuk. really nice how the rhythm progresses. this is such a good vibe man, im just zoning out over here. midrange noise is wonderful. would be interesting to hear if there was anything that drove you to kill off all the dynamics for this one, if there was any reason

@Tolsof great intro. feel that the rhythm of the bassline could be worked on. the percussion has a great groove, especially by 1.30 when that second pattern comes in. but the bassline comes across a bit stiff. might work better with the rhtyhmic bass coming in for second half, and first half having a spacier bassline (fewer notes,bit of glide etc)

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys, I’m working on mine.

@Jizzybell: Its super flat because I was nerding out super hard on this new mix technique I discovered that I’m obsessed with ATM. I set up a compressor on a send of my mixer, and instead of bringing it back on the designated fx return I put it on its own channel. That way I can turn up the send on that track and get this super cool compressor feedback thing going on. Thats what that screeching feedback noise is in the intro that seems to be side chained to the kick. In sparse sections once the signal level drops below a certain threshold the feedback starts fighting to annihilate the signal, but on full sections it gives a ridiculously pumpy parallel compression track that adds crazy amounts of thickness when blended in.

1 BigUp

Sorry late to reviews but I should have em done by tonight

@cyclopian

Really like the nice chill intro but not a huge fan of the crash/open hat every snare hit. Besides that the percussion is pretty crazy. Great bass line and I really like that vocal sample

@jizz

Haha this one’s weird man. Not sure how I feel about it tbh. Feels really empty and I’m sure that’s what you were going for but just seems like it needs something else imo.

@knobgoblin

Solid tune not really anything I can think to say really. Some cool sounds in there. Maybe a bit long but it does have a pretty good progression of sounds and rhythm so it’s not a huge deal.

Send stems plz

only have tunas from jizz and myself for now, send your tunas boys

nothing from me this week, been too busy wanking and recovering from various hangovers

1 BigUp

ok, so here goes for this week

Jizz the yellowfin
https://soundcloud.com/relka/build-unlf/s-eavtJ

Samuel Damnson the longtail
https://soundcloud.com/genrlbeats/lavender-town-wip/s-thHWA

Faultier the skipjack

BudSpencerTron the bigeye
https://soundcloud.com/unimoguri/truth-2/s-pVOmW
https://soundcloud.com/unimoguri/some-3/s-81XWT

@Jizz interesting sound design, bit it misses something that really grabs the attention imo. like i feel there should be more going on in the intro, maybe hints at that atmospheric pad coming in later? or some other element idk

@genrl big up the pokemon suicide trap, i feel like the melody could more intense if u switched synth throughout, like go for full on suicidal sadboy heartmelt emotions a la james blake

@BudSpencertron truth: nice one, ends a bit abruptly. i’m not sure about the arpeggio during the intro, i feel the melody could be a bit less “simple”?

some: feeling the breakstep meets grime on this one, mixdown sounds a bit muddy, especially once the drums come in, idk it feels like they dont gel with other elements as much as it could

thx for the feedback any idea how to give the beat more presence cause its a loop i could add layered drums or make more room maybe lower some other elements cause i think the beat itself fits the break like the setting of the drums

yeah, if u mean the break-y loop in Some, i reckon you could try lowering the volume of other elements and/or try to carve some space in the mix with EQ, just my 2 cts tho

found part of the problem
i equed the bottom of the loop but it started to overpower what i ignored :confused:
changed the eq mode and sounds harder now god knows why cause the snare parts should be left alone of the kickdrum parts ?!

@Samuel_L_Damnson yes mate, really feeling this one. would be great to hear either melodic progression or a whole bunch of similarly quick, yet melodic beats

@faultier and another beat. snare on this is tightt. the vocal snip sounds a bit awkward i think, could definitely reflip over these drums, cos they are a keeper imo

@BudSpencertron truth: intro tune right here. might sound even better without the vocal chop, just raw drums. that synth chop is real nice though. great groove overall. vocal chop over the smooth bit could glide just as smoothly as the pad maybe
some: great intro. drops into something unexpected, sick. interesting moves into that second half, could definitely do with continuous percussion i think. instead of drop, break, drop, a structure that flows more. hihats might help, really simple rhythm of them to link one to the other. but yeh this one stands out tbh

:slight_smile: thanks what oyu mean with [quote=“Jizz, post:558, topic:2363”]
vocal chop over the smooth bit could glide just as smoothly as the pad maybe
[/quote]
though
like actual glide effect? or longer notes and at which minute mark?
and yeah the other one is very lego style haha :confused:

ok FEEDBARK

@Jizz
very cool soundscape you experiment alot lately?
i dig it though lots of space
hm i think all your stuff is predestined for games or visuals films etc maybe make a pack of your best tunes and contact some indi game people or film people or make a film yourself haha would be tight

@Samuel_L_Damnson
haha yeah i remember that one
maybe include some pokemon sounds like grass walking and shit to complete it like some of the pokemon fx sounds
but cool little tune so far

@faultier
nice instrumental again i think you can bash it bit more like araabmuzik but besides that nice groove again very short haha i would say the same like to jizz make sth out of the short ones maybe find some mc´s or put them all together like a mixtape or sth

The final section, and i meant glide effect, though longer notes might suit this track better

Tbh though, thinking over it, current ending is nice and simple