|U=u=u=u=u=u=u=u==u=u=u=u=u=u=u=u=U|
|= = = /o\ = = = = P A RA 'S= = = = /o \ = == =|
|= = = |_/ = = = = S T U F F = == = |__/ = ===|
|U=u=u=u=u=u=u=u==u=u=u=u=u=u=u=u=U|
|= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = |
|= = = = = = = = = =|NNN|= = = = = = = = = = |

Figured it’d be smart to collect the things I work with in its own thread. Chiptunes, 2-step, polymeter things, etc.

Linking to some posts in other topics here.

Here’s a link to my comments on the main Blender 4 tutorial.

My thread about how to use Western theory.

The last few days I’ve been working on a chiptune song in Furnace, a free multi-chip emulation tracker. So far I’ve been exploring the limitations of the Ricoh 2A03, which is the chip in the NES.

Here’s a screenshot showing some different windows and settings, as well as the sequencer (to the left), the pattern list (top left) and the effect list (to the right). It might look confusing, but it’s actually pretty straight forward.

The song is an attempt at the progressive jazz / funk style of Fearofdark, Tempest, or similar artists. The work is pretty slow, but it’s still nice to do.
It’s not ready for upload yet, but here’s another track I’ve made in the original FamiTracker a while back. I’ve shared it before in some other thread.

Here’s another things I’ve been working on, sampled my acoustic classical guitar with my burner phone, chopped, pitched and rearranged it into a Commodo style bassline. Perc is chopped clicking noises from the elevator leading to the Wizard’s tower.

Here’s that showcase of unfinished beats I uploaded like 2 years ago too.

7 Likes

Made you guitar sound like a double bass. Cool af!

1 BigUp

Link to my post about Ars Dada’s latest album, one of the dudes who is part of SkankinOslo.

One of the oldest bookings of breakcore in Oslo. Shit sound.

@sleeps

Ars Dada on the decks. Shit sound, but conveys the vibe well.

2 Likes

i heard of bong ra 15 years ago i found this music style by accident still dont know what its called. i found a cd on the street one with the case smashed when i was a teenager it was hellfish cd i dont remember what album it was but it was a red fish on it smoking a cigar. i was very confused when i first heard it lol it was completely alien

not my favourite but when you said bong ra it suprised me

but this led me too one of my favourite “dnb” artists im not sure what the genre is

2 Likes

Bong-ra is breakcore.
Katharsys sits at the extreme end of the dnb spectrum. Sometimes it’s called crossbreed, it’s at the crossroads of hardcore and dnb, very breakcore and gabba adjacent.

The red fish is Hellfish’s logo. He’s the co-owner/founder of Deathchant Records with Dj Producer.

Together they’re responsible for some of the most iconic gabba/breakcore/techno tunes since the early 90s

2 Likes

Yeah, as sleeps said, Bong-Ra falls under the breakcore umbrella. Breakcore came out of the jungle and hardcore techno (or hardtech if you want) scenes, when people started pushing both early sequencer softwares (usually trackers) and hardware drum machines & synths to their absolute limit. Very high tempo, high energy stuff. I talked a lot to Bong-Ra when the Oslo Break Fest crew booked him many years ago, super humble and nice dude. From my experience, people making really extreme music are usually very calm and intelligent.

1 BigUp

ah ok ill have to look up some more crossbreed. gabba im not familiar with or breakcore, is ventian snares breakcore? . when i found the hellfish cd it looked really fucked up and old lol when i first heard it i was like did i just stumble onto some new underground genre.

i heard breakcore is getting a big boost in popularity lately and is getting completely butchered by people who dont know what breakcore is similar to what happened to dubstep scene. granted i know fuck all about breakcore too. i’m not sour anymore about it though used to be lol but i still cant say i like dubstep to people because they think i like the more yoib yoib wob wob shit. i just say i like deep bass music

2 Likes

yeah i found that too its like people who listen too metal are very chill and nice people most of the time. i like nu-metal because i grew up listening to that some people would say its not really metal.

2 Likes

Oh yes definitely.

1 BigUp

Did he play at event me and @Harkat showed up to a bit late? I remember rocking up and being like “What’s this? 160bpm-St.Anger-snare-breakcore? Bruh :skull:

Breakcore is great lol it really pisses my gf off too

2 Likes

Not sure which event you mean, but if there was breakcore, there’s a high probability that it was Ars Dada playing, yeah.

is this a Metallica reference?

2 Likes

Yeah the snare sound on their St. Anger album was widely criticised/mocked.
It was very PANG sounding, as are many snares in breakcore/crossover D&B

1 BigUp

Yup! Ngl I did enjoy the record when it released back in the day but now I’m finding it almost comically bad at times.

1 BigUp

@sleeps yeah this was one of my favourite Metallica album growing up. i actually liked the snare alot and still do i thought they were banging something metal or something like that. one of my friends in school said it was the worst album he ever listened too lol. going have too relisten too it havent heard some of the songs in years

1 BigUp

St. Anger (the song) is a banger still fr no cap on god.

It’s not aged well.

ive just skimmed through the whole album i dont like invisible kid or purify. i kind off like how bad the mixing is and i like the “snare” maybe i wonder if someone has tried to eq or try and remix the album. AI can split songs into stems these days right? but i wonder if i would like it after still lol

edit: yeah i found the album fully remixed and remarstered on youtube by some guy